Previewing The Course At Augusta National Golf Club Part II of III
Augusta National Golf Course – LandMarks:
Amen Corner : The second shot at the 11th, all of the 12th, and the tee shot at the 13th hole at Augusta are nicknamed “Amen Corner.” This term was first used in print by author Herbert Warren Wind in a 1958 Sports Illustrated article. He may have taken the name from the play by James Baldwin, or from a jazz song called “Shouting at Amen Corner” or “Shouting in that Amen Corner.” (The term is, in any case, an old Southern expression.)
History: In 1958 Arnold Palmer outlasted Ken Venturi for the Green Jacket with heroic escapes at Amen Corner. Amen Corner also played host to prior Masters moments like Byron Nelson’s birdie-eagle at 12 and 13 in 1937, and Sam Snead’s water save at 12 in 1949 that sparked him to victory.
“The Big Oak Tree”: “The big oak tree” is on the golf course side of the clubhouse and is approximately 145–150 years old. The tree was planted in the 1850s.
Eisenhower Tree : Also known as the “Eisenhower Pine”, is a loblolly pine located on the 17th hole, approximately 210 yards (192 m) from the Master’s tee. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, an Augusta National member, hit the tree so many times that, at a 1956 club meeting, he proposed that it be cut down. Not wanting to offend the President, the club’s chairman, Clifford Roberts, immediately adjourned the meeting rather than reject the request outright.
Ike’s Pond : During a visit to Augusta National, then General Eisenhower returned from a walk through the woods on the eastern part of the grounds, and informed Clifford Roberts that he had found a perfect place to build a dam if the Club would like a fish pond. Ike’s Pond was built and named, and the dam is located just where Eisenhower said it should be.
Rae’s Creek: Rae’s Creek cuts across the southeastern corner of the Augusta National property. It flows along the back of the 11th green, in front of the 12th green, and ahead of the 13th tee. This is the lowest point in elevation of the course. The Hogan and Nelson Bridges cross the creek after the 12th and 13th tee boxes, respectively. The creek was named after former property owner John Rae, who died in 1789.