The Ultimate Fighting Championship® (“UFC) is demanding a retraction from the website CagePotato and its executives in connection with alleged false and defamatory statements made about UFC President, Dana White, in an April 14th website posting.
UFC’s attorney, Donald J. Campbell of the Las Vegas law firm, Campbell & Williams released the following excerpt from the demand:
“The claim that Mr. White would financially wager on the outcome of a UFC® event is outrageous in the extreme. Indeed, in the verified complaint we are presently preparing for Mr. White’s signature upon his return from Abu Dhabi, Mr. White expressly states under oath that at no time in the history of his association with the UFC® has he ever financially wagered on the outcome of a UFC® event.”
Mr. Campbell further explained that under Nevada law a demand for retraction is the first required step in the filing of a lawsuit seeking punitive damages against a party that has maliciously published defamatory statements about another.
Universally recognized for its action-packed events, the UFC have sold out some of the biggest arenas and stadiums across the globe. UFC is the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, which is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC, headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada. With offices in London, Toronto, Canada and Beijing, UFC produces more than 30 live events annually and is the largest Pay-Per-View event provider in the world.
In 2011, the UFC burst into the mainstream with a landmark seven-year broadcast agreement with FOX Sports Media Group. The agreement includes four live events broadcast on the FOX network annually, with additional fight cards and thousands of hours of programming broadcast on FOX properties FX and FUEL TV. This includes the longest-running sports reality show on television, The Ultimate Fighter®, which now airs on FX in an exciting new live format.
In addition to its reach on FOX, UFC programming is broadcast in over 149 countries and territories, to nearly one billion homes worldwide, in 20 different languages. UFC content is also distributed commercially in the United States to bars and restaurants through Joe Hand Promotions. The UFC also connects with tens of millions of fans through its website, UFC.com, as well as social media sites Facebook and Twitter. UFC President Dana White is considered one of the most accessible and followed executives in sports, with nearly two million followers on Twitter.
Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor told the New York Post on Wednesday that he would not hesitate to “lay out” his close friend, Jets receiver Santonio Holmes, in Sunday’s AFC title game. Taylor and Holmes, the former Steeler, are offseason workout partners and as tight as brothers, but Taylor said that friendship will be put on hold for three hours this weekend at Heinz Field. “I love him and that’s my boy, but when we get between those white lines, it’s a whole different deal,” Taylor said in an interview with The Post after practice.
Obviously, Ike Taylor was not paying attention to the Ray Anderson memo from the league last week which warned players of idle threats and carrying out said threats. It is surprising that Anderson has not commented on the Ike Taylor trash talk. But why would we be disappointed the Jets were only going to play America’s golden team the Patriots.
Taylor further said that he was going to try to be as disrespectful as possible once he and Holmes got between those white lines, the veteran Pittsburgh starter said. “Friendship doesn’t enter into it then.” What must put Holmes and the Jets on notice is that the Steelers’ hard-hitting defense is known to back up hints of bodily harm.
Taylor, who was fined $10,000 by the NFL during the preseason for striking Giants wideout Hakeem Nicks in the head, is just one of several Pittsburgh defenders familiar with the league’s disciplinary department in recent years. Linebacker James Harrison, in fact, is such a noted headhunter that the NFL has fined him four separate times this season alone for a total of $100,000, putting him on the verge of a suspension. Taylor’s comments also probably will not go over well with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in the wake of his recent efforts to cut down on unnecessarily violent hits. But Taylor, who is among the team leaders in tackles and defies the usual cornerback reputation by being physical against the run, defiantly said he plans to offer his buddy no quarter.
“I’m not going to hesitate to lay him out,” Taylor said. “No question at all. You know why? Because he ain’t going to hesitate to crack on me if he gets a chance.” Taylor, who became tight with Holmes during the wideout’s four seasons in Pittsburgh, will have to be careful carrying out that vow because hits on “defenseless receivers” are the league’s biggest point of emphasis this year.
Holmes was MVP of Super Bowl XLIII after his acrobatic, toe-tapping touchdown catch with 35 seconds left gave the Steelers a 27-23 victory over the Cardinals. But the 26-year-old was traded to the Jets for a fifth-round pick in last year’s draft, just before the NFL announced he would be suspended for four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Come Ray Anderson, please show the same love for the Jets and Holmes…shaking my head.
Seems like Bengals’ Head Coach Marvin Lewis is continuing his attacks, calling out Chad Ochocino and his antics. Word on the streets is that Ocho drew some attention from the sporting world, when he recently tweeted, about wanting to join the New England Patriots next season. Lewis did not take lightly to the comments and blasted Chad on Bengals.com. “Nobody was talking about him,” Lewis said. “He didn’t stand that. You want them to talk about you, win football games.”
Coach Lewis also took a shot at Ochocinco in December, claiming that he was being “mopey” about his left ankle injury. To which Ochocinco fired back on twitter, saying his coach threw him under the bus and that this is “how they treat you when you hurt.”
It will be interesting to see whether the razzle-dazzle wide receiver returns to the Bengals next season, but Chad should also bear in mind that all talk does not prove the theory of “what have you done for the team lately”
Denver Nuggets we have a problem. Attention Mr. President send in the national guards – trade talks with the New Jersey Nets have come to a screeching halt. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov instructed the team’s front office to cease talks with the Nuggets about a trade for Carmelo Anthony, leaving Denver with a lot less leverage in their efforts to deal their star forward before the Feb. 24 trade deadline. While Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri has said that the team was ready for the Nets’ withdrawal, Prokhorov’s decision “came as a shock” to the organization, which has been privately confident that New Jersey would not back away from the bargaining table, The Denver Post reported.
Now, Denver is working the phones in search of other willing trading partners, according to ESPN.com. While the Nets clearly had the most to offer, the Knicks remain a potential landing spot for Anthony, and there may be some teams willing to trade for Anthony even if he’s not willing to sign a long-term deal with them.
Teams in the hunt now include Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets. Sources are saying that teams may be willing to offer enough expiring contracts, draft picks and young players in a package that’s more valuable than what the Knicks are willing to give up, the website said. The Knicks, Anthony’s preferred destination, may be willing to wait out the season and sign Anthony as a free agent without having to give up anything in exchange. SI.com, however, wrote that the Knicks will not be able to sign Anthony as a free agent in anything close to a max deal and fit the contract under the salary cap.
Another reason why becoming a free agent is not necessarily a preferable scenario for Anthony is that the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement expires at season’s end, and it may be impossible for him to get a deal that’s equal to the three-year, $65 million offer that’s currently on the table.
The NFL off season is kicking into high gear and so it is evident that certain players will start behaving badly. The first victim of the “Off The Field Blunders” is Denver Broncos running back Laurence Maroney was arrested Monday night on weapons charges in St. Louis, according to KMOV-TV. The 25-year-old is reportedly being held on “unlawful weapons charges and drug charges.” Maroney and three other men were in the vehicle that was pulled over by police. He was a first-round pick in 2006 for the New England Patriots and was traded to the Broncos in 2010. The Broncos who recently named Hall of Famer and former quarterback John Elway as Executive Vice President has not issued a statement regarding Maroney. However, Elway is said to be a no-nonsense kind of guy and will surely not turn the other cheek to this kind of behavior by Maroney.
Tragedy struck after the New York Jets’ stunning upset win over the New England Patriots on Sunday. In a story that could only be designed for TV drama, Raymond Larsen, a 46-year-old New York Jets fan, died in a sledding accident on Sunday night after the Jets knocked the New England Patriots out of the playoffs. According to John Annese of the Staten Island Advocate, Larsen “took a celebratory sled ride down his driveway in Great Kills” and crashed into “a car driving down his block” at about 8:52 p.m.
Larsen was unconscious and unresponsive when police arrived on the scene. Police said that the 61-year-old female driver did not have any alcohol in her system and that they do not suspect any crime on her part. May his soul rest in “green”.
News got out earlier today that the NFL ( aka No Fun League) has warned the playoff teams against the kind of trash talking, which occurred this week between teams like the New England Patriots and the New York Jets. Welker on Thursday made several references to feet in a jab at Ryan, who allegedly is involved in making foot-fetish videos featuring his wife. That came one day after Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie called Patriots quarterback Tom Brady an “a–hole,” according to a published report. Ryan, Cromartie and Shaun Ellis also called out Brady for taunting the Jets during a 45-3 win last month.
Ryan said he was aware of Welker’s remarks. “I think this is a huge rivalry-type game and anything goes. I can take it,” Ryan said Friday. “I’m not going to discuss it, but I can take it.” ESPN.com reports the NFL did not name any teams or players specifically in its warning. The league has fined players and could suspend them for hits deemed to be excessively violent.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote Saturday on Twitter, “To confirm what’s being reported: (NFL VP) Ray Anderson contacted multiple clubs this week so they could remind players comments of a physically threatening nature are always taken into account in evaluating discipline for illegal physical contact on field.”
The Ravens and Steelers, who play Saturday in Pittsburgh, also have engaged in serious trash-talking in the weeklong run-up to the Divisional playoff games. As long as there are no threats, I do believe that this is healthy for the rivalry and brings a bit of excitement to the already blah and boring no fun league.